Monday, March 4, 2013

Broccoli and Carrot Puree

Broccoli and Carrot Puree

Broccoli is one of the first foods I’d like to introduce to my baby during his first 6 months. It’s rich in Vitamin C, good source of fiber, calcium and contains potassium, phosphorus, niacin, folic acid and a lot more. It’s really great for him, for his body, for his health. I also wanted him to be familiar with the taste as I have been on the process of teaching him to eat good veggies. However, I couldn’t introduce it to him at that age especially when he was formerly having gas pain, and broccoli is a gas-forming vegetable and I didn’t want him having trouble with that. It may also be a bit hard for a young infant to digest it, so I passed up on it.

Waited for him to turn 8 months or as soon as his digestion becomes mature. (The best time for broccoli to be introduced is around 8 to 10 months) He’s about to turn 9 months this week and I’m pretty sure he’s ready to get some of that broccoli love.

Since this is my baby’s first broccoli and he’s likely to develop allergies I again sticked with the 4-Day Wait Rule. I’ve decided to make broccoli and carrots puree than just broccoli alone. He has already tasted different foods in the past and I don’t want good food such as broccoli go to waste because of the risk that he may not like the taste. So I incorporate carrots as this is one of his faves, and the sweetness of it is a great combination to broccoli.

  

Broccoli and Carrot Puree
Ingredients:
  • 1 stalk broccoli
  • 1 large carrots
Procedure:
  1. Wash broccoli and carrot in cold water for 2 minutes
  2. Chop a cup of each and steam for 8-10 minutes or until very soft. Let it cool.
  3. Transfer the vegetables to a glass measuring cup. Using an immersion blender, blend to a desired consistency and serve.
  4. Store the remaining puree in the freezer storage pods to use later
Storage Time: 3 months in the freezer
Recipe Yields: 6-8 Servings


No comments:

Post a Comment