Friday, March 29, 2013

Character Cupcake: Draft of Oscar the Grouch Cupcake



I was so desperate to have Sesame Street Themed Cupcakes for my son's 1st birthday that's made of buttercream (for cheaper costs) so the characters' faces are not just simple toppers or flat fondant (costly na kasi kapag 3D fondant pa). I found lots of suppliers but I still needed to cut down my costs so I decided to bake cupcakes since I used to bake cookies and brownies before. I started exploring and trying out different cupcake recipes. My sister and I are trying to come up with a cupcake, that is not only moist and soft but delicious as well, and the perfect frosting to top it with. Fortunately, our mom has experience in baking cakes and making frostings for our birthday when we were young so she's helping us out right now, teaching us her techniques and sharing her experience.

The other day, I baked this moist chocolate cupcake and I was thinking of what frosting would match it. I thought of marshmallow frosting but my sister didn't like the idea until I decided to try and make vanilla buttercream. The first buttercream I made was too sweet, redid it and added unsweetened milk chocolate syrup that I previously made. My siblings and in-laws liked the chocolate frosting in my moist chocolate cupcake. Nabawasan naman ang sweetness but it's sill too sweet for me. Then I researched for a new recipe for vanilla buttercream; read some tips/ideas and explored variations and voila! I'm able to come up with my own tasty vanilla buttercream! Next was finding the best tip to frost (I'm such an amateur I know! Buti na lang andiyan si mother) until I found this weird tip which I couldn't fathomed what it is used for. I asked my mom about it and when she showed me how to use it I eventually thought of Oscar the Grouch; na-excite ako so I looked for the green food color and added banana flavor and made Oscar the Grouch frosting for moist chocolate cupcake. Coming up with this cupcake was unexpected, I didn't have anything to make his eyes, mouth and the scary eyebrow. I just utilized what I have around. I'll definitely make this again and the other Sesame Street characters for Jabin's 1st Birthday. Will make Cookie Monster, Big Bird, and more importantly, Elmo!

No comments:

Post a Comment